Monday, April 13, 2009

An Earthquake and An Easter on Mount Vesuvius

Greetings from Florence, Italy! I've been all over Italy in the past week and feel that it's time to share my travels with you, especially since my hostel offers free internet. Perfect! So I spent a total of 6 days in Rome (Sunday morning-Saturday morning) and, let me tell you, it was amazing. The place is like one big amusement park, everything is just larger than life and there is some sort of historical monument around every street corner. 
This is Danielle and I in front of the famous Trevi Fountain, one of our first stops. See how sunny it is? Yeah, warm and sunny the entire week! Our tour group was so much fun and our tour leaders were quirky, we had tons and tons of pasta and pizza and wine (doing as the Romans do). The only minor hitch was there was actually an earthquake our first night in Rome...well, it was 70 miles outside of Rome, but we felt it! It was around 3:30 AM and our beds and the walls started shaking; half of our tour group completely slept through it but the 4 girls (including me) in my room definitely woke up, freaked out, then went back to sleep. It was a world-known disaster though, and I can't believe it happened so close to us. 
    As far as all of the Roman sites go, you should know that I am a huge fan of the book "Angels & Demons" by Dan Brown. And I made a POINT of stopping at almost every site from that book! This included...
Piazza Navona and the "4 Rivers" fountain
Church of Santa Maria del Poppolo, AND (drumroll please)
St. Peter's Basillica and Square! (aka inside of THE VATICAN). 
The Vatican was absolutely amazing, tons of people but we got to bypass lots of lines because we were in a large group, and I even got a couple of pics of the Sistine Chapel even though you're not supposed to take pics ;) 
One of my other favorites was the Collisseum (did I spell that right?) We spent a lot of time in there. I also got to run around the Circus Maximus where they used to have the chariot races! 
                                     *Cameron, Danielle, and I running Circus Maximus!*
After Rome, Danielle and I hopped on a train for Naples and stayed there for two days. We hiked up Mount Vesuvius on Easter morning, had some famous Napoleon pizza for lunch, and spent time walking around and looking at castles and parks. Sorry y'all, I haven't uploaded pics from my Naples adventures yet, so I can't show you any :( Now I'm in Florence, yet another great place (I'm under the Tuscan sun!!!), and tomorrow I'm going to Pisa before we head back to the big CPH! Traveling really wears me out, so I'm excited to get to go back for a little bit...even though Friday night I'm going back to Amsterdam for my 21st birthday. This could be trouble.

No comments: