Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Brooke Biked Bornholm



Guess what today was? LAST DAY OF CLASSES! Yipee and it's also Cinco de Mayo, what a wonderful combination. I'm still exhausted from this weekend, we biked over 100 km. around the island of Bornholm, I had to sleep on the floor on the ferry (so I didn't sleep very good) and then stayed up til 3 AM last night finishing my portfolio for international advertising. Before I begin telling about my beautiful weekend, do you recognize the pictures to the right and left? Yep, they are from the King's Gardens, only this time they've been attacked by spring! The trees are blooming, the sun is shining, and the flowers are a-growing. Love it. And here is a picture from inside Tivoli last Thursday, and one of us girls in front of the Dragon, a crazy ride that literally makes you do 360 degree spins for 3 solid minutes. Mary and Danielle have their game faces on, and I'm freaking out just a little (of course the pic is posed, but seriously it was intense). 

OK so back to Bornholm. Friday night we took an overnight ferry and found a couple of couches to sleep on, arrived at 6:30 AM and began biking by 8:30. We rode around all day, looking at the beaches, including the Doedde beach that has the softest sand ever--it is even exported around the world to be used in hourglasses! We watched glass blowing in a little shop in Svenke, and had an Is (soft ice cream) by one of the lighthouses. Bornholm is known for their smoked herring, so we stopped at a smokehouse to have a taste. It was literally a fish, sitting there staring up at me, skin and eyeballs and all. It was pretty good but I cut it wrong so that it still had lots of bones in it so it was really awkward to eat (I found out when I got home on Monday, from my host mom, the right way to eat it. Good advice, just a little too late!) The way back was alllll uphill and I'm not gonna lie I was having a tough time but it made dinner just that much more worth it. I think my body was wondering why I spent a semester eating pastries from St. Peter's Bakery and was now deciding to bike like it was my job. At about 7pm I was like "I'm going to go take a nap"...well, it turned into a 13-hour nap. Obviously I was a little exhausted. The next morning we did it all over again, only this time instead of biking along the beach we did the Wilderness Trail and rode through forests with waterfalls and ivy. We saw rounded churches, sacred cliffs, and pine trees that looked like they were straight out of Fern Gully. Then it was back to the town our hostel was in, Gudhjem ("God's home"), for some famous soft ice cream and a stroll through the town, followed by dinner and a social. It was a great weekend, and you know what? I'm gonna let the pictures speak for themselves...enjoy!
riding through the countryside

taking a rest stop in Svenke
Duodde, the famous hourglass sand beach

conquering a waterfall
so much green!

No comments: