Friday, May 15, 2009

My Little Goodbyes

Here I am, 15 days away from being back in Texas! But, since today is my last day in Copenhagen, that means it's my last blog as well. The "study" part of study abroad is completely done for me and it feels great! For my last blog, I figure I will recap my last week here in CPH and then go over some of the things I've learned about Denmark. Sound cheesy? A little. Just read it!
So I left off last time with Monday night. That night Mary and I did a nightwalk around Copenhagen and saw all of the big tourist attractions by night as a sort of goodbye. Then we watched "The Reader" on her computer. Now, I don't know if you've seen that movie or not, but it's kind of disturbing. But still really good, Kate Winslet is such a good actress. OK enough talking movies...
Tuesday: Went into DIS to work on my paper and ended up watching two hours worth of Gossip Girl instead. Not good. Then came home and started studying out on the porch for my final, the weather has been sooo nice this week. Danielle and I took a study break and walked along the beach while eating Lion ice cream cones (Lion is the best flavor EVER, it has chocolate, caramel, graham crackers...basically everything that makes ice cream good). For dinner I had frikadeller, or Danish meatballs. They're amazing, and something I'll miss when I'm gone. 
Wednesday: On the way to my final I saw a guy passing out newspapers to bike riders as they rode by...another thing I'll miss is how people do everything on their bikes, from talking on the phone to picking up the paper! I then went into my favorite little convenience store to get a hot chocolate and saw two DIS students buying Grøn Tuborg. Keep in mind it's 11:30 in the morning. The cashier: "Isn't it a little early for this?" The DIS students: "We have a Danish oral exam in 30 minutes, we need all the help we can get". My final was pretty tough, had to write two essays in two hours, but I think I did good. Afterwards, to celebrate the end of exams, I went to Tivoli! Yipee! That night I went out with Mary and Greg to a tiny little bar in Svanemøllen and met some Danish folks. As I was going out, I noticed that the sky was still light (at 11pm) and at 4am it started getting light again. CRAZY!
Thursday: finished my paper and worked book return ALLLL AFTERNOON to finish up my work study scholarship hours! Somehow, Danielle and I made it fun by making a game out of the book filing and chatting with the interns. Then I went to see "Angels and Demons" and I got really into it since I've been to basically all the places in Rome that were in the movie! 

And that brings me to today. My final day. It's 10:24 AM and I still haven't packed. EEK. I'm meeting Mary at the King's Gardens around 1pm and then we are going to the DIS concluding ceremony. From there, Danielle and I are hopping on our plane to begin our next 15 days of travel. It's going to be exhausting but I'm looking forward to it...especially the Greek cruise :)

OK so some of the things I've learned about Denmark...
1. There are three main food categories: meat, starch/bread, and alcohol. Vegetables are almost unheard of. And they butter everything...for example, a sandwich will consist of bread, butter, ham, and cheese. Which will be followed by a slice of bread with butter and chocolate pieces on top. Sounds like what your parents never let you eat as a kid, right?
2. Biking is a way of life.
3. The Danes do not believe in small talk. Don't expect them to smile at you as you're walking down the street; in fact, they will probably avoid eye contact. But if you begin the conversation they are very responsive and will talk your ear off...so don't ask "how's your day been?" if you're not wanting to hear more than "fine".
4. Danes are very helpful with directions, and most of the time will either walk you there themselves (has happened to me numerous times) or give you step-by-step directions.
5. Although there is a state religion (Lutheran) and most Danes have to pay taxes to the church, I have yet to meet a Dane who goes to church regularly, or believes in God for that matter.
6. In Denmark, sarcasm=sense of humor. Don't take anything too seriously.
7. Denmark is a small but proud country and is vary wary of immigrants; good luck getting a visa here. Case in point: after I leave, I'm not allowed to return for 6 months since I've been here for 4 months.
8. Using an umbrella in Denmark is unheard of. I hope you have a hooded raincoat.
9. Denmark loves Obama. To the point of obsession.
10. If the temperature goes above 60 degrees, the Danes will be out and about in summer attire. Or will just lay in the park half-naked.
11. It's never too early to drink (just ask the people sitting in the "morning bars").
12. Danish children are probably the most adorable thing I've ever seen.
13. I WILL be back to visit!

Brooke's study abroad adventure is officially at an end. And yes, I just started crying after I typed that sentence. Hej-hej Denmark, it's been a blast.

No comments: