Friday, May 1, 2009

Jeg KAN taler dansk!

After this week, I officially consider myself part-Dane. Here's why:
1.) I was able to go into a Matas (pharmacy), buy some items, and complete the entire transaction in Danish. The cashier asked me some questions in Danish and I knew exactly what she was asking and how to respond. Earlier that morning, I had gone into a Tiger (discount store) to buy a folder and had the same experience; no English involved whatsoever. SUCCESS
2.) I've been listening to Danish music on Youtube more than American music lately. Yes, I've fallen into the Nik & Jay trap, and I will be buying their CDs
3.) I own the daisy necklace, worn by every Danish female living in Copenhagen
4.) I went to Tivoli yesterday, the most famous part of Copenhagen, and rode just about every ride. Without throwing up.
5.) Today is May Day, the first of May, which is a huge deal in Denmark. Basically, it's their excuse to party. I went, by myself, to Fælledparken and had a pølser and Carlsberg while laying in the sun and listening to music.
6.) I'm able to wear sandals, jeans, and a short-sleeved shirt in 60 degree weather and be warm. In fact, I feel like its 'shorts weather'.
7.) I got asked for directions the other day.
8.) No locals think I'm a tourist. It used to be that I would walk into most stores and they'd automatically start speaking in English. Now, it's Danish all the way baby.

The countdown starts today. Exactly two weeks left in Copenhagen. Will I make them count? Oh, you better believe it. This weekend=biking around the beautiful island of Bornholm (part of Denmark's territory). That should have been my #9 reason I'm part-Dane...I'm going to spend a weekend BIKING! I will have some perdy pictures to post upon my return :)

No comments: