Friday, March 6, 2009

Sad News and Happy Memories

    This week has definitely been a bittersweet one, because on Wednesday morning I found out that Nana Lavadia passed away. For those who do not know, Nana was the grandma of my cousins Jackie and Brett. She was such a sweet (and short) little lady who was always wanting to talk or willing to listen (and always saying, "What?!"), and I'm going to miss her. It's tough being across an ocean and not able to hug everyone and go to the funeral. So, this blog is dedicated to her and to her family.
  As promised, I will talk about the Brondby vs. FCK match that I went to on Monday night. Here's a pic of us Brondby 'hooligans' (since Brondby is known as being a sort of rough area, all Brondbyans are lovingly referred to by this name). This is my host sister Maria, me, and Danielle with the extremely large and rowdy crowd of Brondby Stadium behind us.
Note the Brondby scarves and jerseys ;) The game was definitely intense and at the beginning of the game they put a huge flag over the top of everyone on the Brondby side, and you just jump up and down to move the flag and you can't see anything but supposedly this looks very cool from the other side (claustrophobics are strongly encouraged not to sit on the Brondby side). One of the greatest parts of the game was when I looked down and said, "wait, who are THOSE guys?" and realized it was two Brondby hooligans running across the field, and then proceeding to moon all of the FCK supporters. It was great. 
So, I've been trying to avoid this fact, but...we lost. 1-0. Grrrr. But good news: on Wednesday I finally saw the world-famous, extravagantly spectacular (ok so I'm exaggerating a bit) LITTLE MERMAID STATUE! 
No wonder I haven't seen it before...its not exactly in the center of the city! But I love its location...I also realized that I haven't taken as many Copenhagen tourist pictures, so here's one of me on a street in Copenhagen that runs right along a river. I love these buildings!
In case you haven't noticed yet, cobblestone streets are a big deal here! Alright, well I'm making it an early night tonight because I'm going to Malmo, Sweden tomorrow (20 minute drive away) and want to be well rested since I went out Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, AND Thursday night. Yeah, I think I deserve a little sleep! See ya next time...

No comments: