Sunday, March 8, 2009

Swedish Fish, Sushi, Shopping, SWEDEN!


Wow, two blogs in three days? I'm getting so much better at maintaining this thing!! (but don't let it spoil you..) I wanted to give y'all an update on my weekend, since I spent my Saturday in Malmo, Sweden! I went with my main partner-in-crime Danielle, as usual, and her host mom drove us to the bus station where we took a 25-minute bus ride into Malmo. Yes, in less than half an hour, you can be in a different country. Once we got there, we immediately went into a candy shop (when I say immediately, I mean we saw that candy shop and we made a beeline for it) and bought some Swedish Fish! Yeah, you know, that fish-shaped candy you can buy in the U.S....only for some reason it just tasted ten times better because it was from Sweden. We then went and got some sushi for lunch, because we've been craving it for weeks but can't get it in Copenhagen because it is ridiculously expensive. The Swedish kroner is very very weak right now (9 kroner to 1 US dollar) and the Sushi was 35 Swedish crowns...that's about $4.

Then we went to the main walking street to do a little shopping. But we have the worst luck in the world, so of course we happen to come to Sweden on the day of a massive demonstration. Tons upon tons of Swedes are marching down the streets with signs, protesting against the U.S. and Israel and asking for peace. I said, "Danielle, whatever you do, don't speak English too loudly right now". 
We braved the protesters and went shopping at H&M. H&M is like the Forever 21 of the northern US and of Europe, and it originated in Sweden. I bought a scarf and 2 shirts for less than $40. Ballin'! 
It was fun just roaming the streets after that, saw lots of funky advertisements for "American" items like the Hot Texas burger at Burger King (first picture). We stopped in a bar/restaurant called Mello Yello and had garlic bread and chocolate tapas with wine...so good. Danielle actually knows a couple of guys that live in Sweden because they studied abroad at her university, and she called them up to hang out. They were our tour guides of the night because they took us to a sort of hidden nightclub/disco that is jokingly called "Slaughter House" because its called slaterhuset and that, well, looks like slaughter house. All in all, great experience, maybe because Malmo was a LOT like Copenhagen since they are basically neighbors. I'll leave ya with this pic of me as a 'lost American statue' in the square of Malmo.

1 comment:

Robyn at SoManySweets said...

Honestly, I've been offically jealous of you since you left the states!! I'm glad your having a great time!!